Bag Bliss the bag blog
Date Added: October 29, 2006
1976 through 1991 Louis Vuitton gave special permission to “The French Company” to manufactured bags under a special license for them to produce accessories ornamented with the iconic “LV” symbol. They (TFC) are still producing handbags today that resemble the shape of some of the Louis Vuitton handbags, such as the speedy and some luggage bags, however they don’t use the “LV” symbol anymore and their bags aren’t even close to the exclusive price range of Louis Vuitton.
If you are shopping for a Vintage Louis Vuitton handbag, here are some tips. Remember that just because it says its vintage doesn’t mean that it is. Counterfeiters have been replicating Louis Vuitton items since the labels first trunk was produced back in the late 1800′s.
- No Date Code? Date Code is important for the new Louis Vuitton handbags but not so much for the older pieces. The vintage as well as the “French Company” prior to the early 1980′s will not have date codes.
- Darker treated Leather. The leather used on the vintage Louis Vuitton handbags was a darker treated carmel color leather, not the untreated vachetta leather with a patina that we know today.
- The strip across the bottom. The current Louis Vuitton Speedy handbags being produced have the “LV’s” upside down on one side. The French Company Speedy actually has a seam on the bottom, covered with a leather strip. The LVs on each side are “”rightside up.”
- If vintage and produced by the French Company, then it will be labeled so. The French Company handbags and luggage will have labeling that says that notifies the buyer that the item was made under a special license and that it was made in the USA. Most often, the tag is an almost paper-like tyvek tag sewn into a side seam of the bag.
- Zipper Pulls. The vintage Louis Vuitton handbags used Talon and Eclair zipper pulls.
- Vintage “French Company” pieces do not have a removable lock. The “French Company” used press-lock closures.
- Hardware. French Company Louis Vuitton hardware is quite different from the hardware used today. Today the hardware used on the Louis Vuitton handbags are mostly made of goldtone brass however, vintage pieces commonly used plated nickel. Also the Louis Vuitton name (as well as “LV” symbol) was not embossed on the zippers.
Recommended Sellers List for Louis Vuitton handbags:
* KarenKooper.com! Remember you can get $25 off any luxury handbag (Louis Vuitton, Hermes, etc) with Promo Code: 301071000. Offer expires in a couple days.